It was billed as the TPI 2015 Live Show & Tell, held July 9–11 in Portland, Ore., and the Turfgrass Producers International event proved to exceed the expectations of the more than 80 turfgrass producers and industry representatives.
The two-day educational tour included visits to numerous locations just outside of Portland, including:
- Pure Seed, the global leader in research, development and production of proprietary turf and forage grasses;
- JB Instant Lawn & Nursery, located in the heart of the Willamette Valley where they farm nearly 1,500 acres of turfgrass sod, grass seed, blueberries and hazelnuts;
- Mountain View Seeds, producer of turf seed varieties that are shipped worldwide;
- Agri Seed Testing Inc., a private commercial seed testing facility that became the first internationally accredited seed testing laboratory in the U.S.;
- GK Machine Inc., the manufacturer of innovative custom made equipment for the agricultural, construction and transportation industries;
- and Oregon Turf & Tree Farms, producers of perennial ryegrass sod along with over 400 acres that include over 90 varieties of Japanese Maples, shade and flowering trees.
Larry Humphreys of Landmark Turf & Native Seed in Avon Lake, Ohio, stated this was his 40th TPI event and it was one of the best he ever attended.
Linda Bradley of Turf Mountain Sod in Hendersonville, N.C., said her dad, Fred Pittillo, a long-time TPI member, attended the event. “He came home bragging about the level of knowledge the tour provided,” she said.
Although attendees were on a busy schedule from early morning until late in the evening, there seemed to be no lack of energy or enthusiasm. There were wonderful hosts, diversified operations, great networking opportunities and assorted social functions, including a wine tasting and dinner at the Willamette Valley Vineyards, an opportunity to visit the Evergreen Aviation & Space Museum and even an unexpected Hazelnut Festival in Donald, Ore.