Former NFL running back Earnest Byner will deliver the keynote address at the Ohio Turfgrass Foundation (OTF) conference and trade show Dec. 6 in Columbus, Ohio. The event runs from Dec. 5 to Dec. 8.
Byner was drafted by the Cleveland Browns in 1984 and also played for the Washington Redskins and Baltimore Ravens during his 14 year career. A two-time Super Bowl Champion, he earned Pro Bowl honors in 1990 and 1991.
In the 1987 AFC Championship Game, Byner was involved in a famous play, now known simply as “The Fumble,” where he lost the ball on the 1-yard line. The play ended the Cleveland Browns chances of moving on to the Super Bowl. In his keynote address, “For the Love of the Game,” he will discuss the play and how team chemistry, community and attitude helped him move forward and become a better teacher and coach later in life.
Following the keynote presentation, Byner will be signing autographs at Syngenta’s booth during the trade show floor reception. Byner will also have copies of his book, “Everybody Fumbles,” available for purchase.
In addition to Earnest Byner delivering this year’s keynote address, several of the industry’s leading researchers and professionals will be presenting during the education conference.
Confirmed speakers include:
- Dr. Aaron Patton, Purdue University;
- Dr. Frank Rossi, Cornell University;
- Dr. Jim Kerns, NC State University;
- Dr. John Sorochan, University of Tennessee;
- Dr. Mike Fidanza, Penn State University;
- Brad Jakubowski, Penn State University;
- Tim Moraghan, Aspire Golf;
- Ross Kurcab, CSFM, Denver Broncos (retired); Championship Sports Turf Systems;
- Jeff Fowler, Penn State University; and
- The Ohio State Turf Team.
The Ohio State University Green Industry Short Course will run concurrent to the OTF conference, offering opportunities to learn more about trees, ornamentals and the entire landscape.